The next BAFRA training day will be devoted to the conservation, restoration and care of clocks. It will be a very much “hands on” day and will take place at Richard Higgins’ workshops near Shrewsbury in Shropshire on Saturday 15th September 2018 starting at 10.30 am and finishing around 5pm latest (please bring lunch with you). The day will be lead by Accredited BAFRA member Richard Higgins together with Life Member Adrian Smith and Accredited Member (and BAFRA Chairman) Jim Broughton.
The following is a brief summary of topics for the day.
- Introductory Talk: “Clocks as furniture”
- Lecture by Adrian Smith: “The development of clock case design and construction”
- Moving clocks and their movements including preparing a clock for safe removal from site
- Removing and re-fitting movements to and from cases
- Setting up a clock on site, including where levelling is and is not necessary, setting time and date indications
- Putting a clock “in beat” including demonstration and practise
- Regulating clocks – principals and practise
- Marriages – how to detect and how to succeed
- Issues with back boards
- Issues with rising hoods
- Question and answer session
Jim will be discussing and demonstrating colouring and finishing of walnut and marquetry particularly with reference to its use in clock cases although all that is discussed will be equally useful to the finishing of furniture.
The study day will take place at the workshops of Richard Higgins Conservation Limited, 18 Merry Lane, Sansaw Heath, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 3JS Tel: 01939 210765
Places are limited so early application is recommended.
Applications should be sent to the BAFRA Head Office care of the above address or by email to [email protected] with payment as follows:
Bafra Accredited Full Members Free of Charge
All other BAFRA members including Friends £10