Five Day Practical Antique Course with Jeremy Gow
This is predominately a hands on course during which we will look at the restoration of furniture. The course takes place in my established workshop which has conserved and restored some of the best furniture in Scotland for the last 25 years.
- We will look at cabinet making skills particular joints and construction and different restoration methods used over the ages.
- Tool sharpening – is vitally important to have sharp tools for best results and achieve fine workmanship. We will look at different sharpening techniques and how to achieve excellent results.
- Wood machining – We will look at machining and how different machines can speed up the process and still produce good results.
- Veneering & Marquetry – this is an art all to itself whether it’s restoring or doing veneer repairs. We will investigate the method of veneering including book matching veneers, discussing problems that can arise and how to avoid them. How to repair old veneers and glueing burrs are essentials skills which we will talk about.
- Glues – what should be used and when! Reversibility and how important it is.
- Finishing – We consider the art of colour matching repairs. Which can involve different bleaching techniques as well as staining. Lots of different products are used and we look at the advantages and disadvantages.
- French Polishing and grain filling methods and how to get the ideal result are vital. I will show you how to polish and you will learn different techniques and we will also cover all other forms of finishing wood old and new processes.
Available Course Dates
- 16th May - 20th May 2022
- 5th September - 9th September 2022
For more details and to make a booking please click here.